Michael liberates the tired (of cafeteria food), poor (from expensive lunches) and hungry masses with a brown baggin' party where everyone gets together to make lunch. Plus, special tips on transporting these delectable dishes and keeping them fresh!
1 Day Before the Lunch Party:
- Toast Barley for Roasted Barley Salad. Simmer barley in chicken stock.
- Core and chop tomatoes for Roasted Tomato Soup. Roast chopped tomatoes with garlic, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Mince and sauté onions, basil, and roasted tomatoes for Roasted Tomato Soup.
- Drain barley and set aside to cool.
- Puree roasted tomato mixture to soup consistency and cover and refrigerate overnight until ready to serve.
- Slice and roast zucchini for Frittata and Tomato Sandwich.
- Blend egg mixture for Frittata Sandwich. Remove roasted zucchini from over, chop into large pieces and stir into egg mixture.
- Cook frittata in a large skillet. Finish frittata by cooking under a broiler. Sprinkle with Provolone cheese. Set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Slice bread and line up on sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toast bread slices in the oven. Cool and set aside.
- Chop and cook smoked bacon for Roasted Barley Salad.
- Chop zucchini, garlic, thyme and carrots for Roasted Barley Salad. Saute chopped vegetables in leftover bacon fact. Add apple cider vinegar to the pan to create dressing for salad.
- Assemble Roasted Barley Salad with barley, bacon, and dressed vegetables.
- Chop parsley and set aside for Roasted Barley Salad.
Morning of the Lunch Party:
- Slice bread for Frittata and Tomato Sandwiches. Pack in paper bag.
- Pack toasted bruschetta slices into paper bag.
- Reheat Roasted Tomato Soup and pour into thermoses.
- Slice tomatoes thickly for Frittata and Tomato Sandwich. Pack into small plastic container.
- Pack salt and pepper and chili flakes.
- Stir reserved parsley into Roasted Barley Salad. Pack up salad.
- Slice Frittata and pack into container.
- Pack basil leaves into small container.
At the Party:
- Assemble Frittata and Tomato Sandwiches.
- Serve Roasted Tomato Soup in mugs. Top with bruschetta slices.
- Serve Roasted Barley Salad.
Eat and Enjoy!