Michael returns to his days in Miami for this inexpensive party full of hot and hearty Cuban favorites. With recipes for Ropa Vieja, Double Fried Plantains, Black Beans and cumin scented rice, Caipirinha
1 Day Before Party:
- Simmer steak and vegetables for Ropa Vieja.
- Soak and rinse black beans for Cuban Black Beans. Simmer beans with ham hock. Chop and sauté onion, garlic and chilies and blend with one half of cooked beans. Mash mixture, return to pot and cook.
- Remove steak from broth to cool. Strain broth and return to pot to simmer and reduce.
- Tear steak into bite-size strips.
- Chop and sauté onions, garlic and peppers for Ropa Vieja.
- Season black bean mixture.
- Dice tomatoes and add to Ropa Vieja mixture with reduced broth. Simmer mixture and finish with shredded meat and parsley. Cool and store in refrigerator overnight.
- Strain black beans, cool and store in refrigerator overnight.
1 Hour Before Party:
- Peel and slice plantains for Fried Plantains. Deep fry plantains, smash, and fry again. Season and keep warm.
- Sauté rice in cumin and butter for Cumin Scented Rice. Simmer rice mixture with lime juice and water. Keep warm.
- Reheat Ropa Vieja.
- Reheat Cuban Black Beans.
At the Party:
- Blend and serve Caipirinha Cocktails.
- Serve Ropa Vieja with Cuban Black Beans, Cumin Scented Rice and Fried Plantains.
Eat and Enjoy!