Fall Fest: Baking Up Pear Desserts
We're teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Fall Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we'll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you're harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.
Pears are at their peak, sweet, juicy and great for baking into tempting fall desserts. Whether you're having a casual get-together, thinking ahead to Thanksgiving or craving an everyday indulgence, bake up one of these sweet pear treats for a taste of the season.
Rarely is such a beautiful dessert so amazingly simple: Just layer the fruit and batter in your slow cooker and then let it cook gently for about three hours.
You can't go wrong with this easy, comforting dessert. Ina uses a mixture of apples and Bosc pears, and adds a little zip with orange and lemon zest.
Ina prepares this classic French pastry with fresh pears. Pear brandy is her secret ingredient, to enhance the flavor of the pears. She also dusts the pan with sugar instead of flour. Watch more of her tips and tricks!
Pear Clafouti 04:38
See more irresistible pear recipes, savory and sweet, from Food Network chefs.
What's your favorite way to use pears? Shout it out in the comments, or share your favorite apple recipes on Twitter at #fallfood.
- Roberto at Food2: 5 Ways to Warm Up to Pears
- Michelle at Cooking Channel: What to Pair With Pears
- Liz at Healthy Eats: Vanilla Poached Pears, With Variations
- Food Network UK: Pear Necessities
- Caroline at the Wright Recipes: Three Favorite Pear Recipes
- Caron at San Diego Foodstuff: Pear, Pecan, Parmesan Scones
- Paige at The Sister Project: A Gingery Pear Crisp
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Sour Cream Pear Cake
- Todd and Diane at White on Rice Couple: Making Pear Galette
- Gilded Fork: Harvest Risotto with Caramelized Pears
- Margaret at A Way to Garden: Of Pears and Cookbooks, a Delicious Giveaway