Andrew's Lucky Chopsticks, a Reminder of Asia's Bustling Food Culture
Closing out the New York City Wine & Food Festival weekend was Lucky Chopsticks, a pan-Asian setup reminiscent of the bustling night markets of Japan, China, Vietnam, Laos, India and more. Hosted by Andrew Zimmern (who himself worked a booth), the event was a delicious reminder of what happens when an eclectic range of cultures come together to celebrate good food.
The bar featured an array of sakes from Gekkeikan (a brewery based in Kyoto), ranging from a light and acidic Tokubetsu Junmai-shu to a more robust, full-bodied Junmai-shu — with your choice depending on whether you were having dim sum, noodles, curry or duck.
Sweet-and-Sour Pork Ribs: Chef Zongxing Tu's Shanghai-style ribs were lip-smackingly sticky — exactly what you want in hand-held street food.
Jing Jiang Rou Si: Hailing from Northeastern China, Chef Jing Guan's traditional sauteed pork came with a toothsome sweet bean sauce and a thin sheet of bean curd.
Shrimp Toast: Chef Stephanie Izard topped her warm, homemade white bread with a citrusy shrimp mousse, complete with fermented vegetables and a fish sauce aioli.
"Quack" on Brioche: Chef Thomas Chen balanced his succulent duck confit sliders with a light daikon relish.
Coconut Curry Red Snapper: Filled out with vermicelli noodles and fresh herbs, Chef Soulayphet Schwader's aromatic fish soup was the ultimate definition of comfort.
Liang Pi "Cold-Skin" Noodles: Tossed with bean sprouts and cucumbers, Chef Jason Wang's wheat-flour noodles were light, chewy and aromatic.
Chicken Tikka Kati Roll: To go with this popular street wrap from Kolkata, Chef Anil Bathwal served crispy potato chips seasoned with a tangle of Indian spices.
Shio Ramen Ochazuke: Guests lined up for Chef Dave Potes' signature mottainai ramen broth (fish, chicken and pork), spiced with sansho pepper and ladled over sashimi and rice.
More from the 2016 New York City Wine & Food Festival:
- Bobby and Michael Turned the Big Apple Into One Big Backyard BBQ at the New York City Wine & Food Festival
- Food and Theater Take Center Stage at Broadway Tastes with Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka
- The Stars Came Out and Gloves Came Off at Guy's Food Fight
- Midnight in Harlem: Jazz and Breakfast with Patti LaBelle
- Rooftop Chopped Brought the Competition Even Closer to Fans at the New York City Wine & Food Festival
- Ayesha's Street Eats Proves That the Best Food in New York City Comes from a Cart
- The 10 Most-Comforting Fall Flavors We Tasted at Katie and Marcela's Harvest Party
- The 7 Best Things We Ate at Anne's Aperitivo! Event at the New York City Wine & Food Festival
- Burger Bash 2016 Winners: David's Cafe and Black Tap Craft Burgers & Beer
- The 9 Best Bites from Giada's Ultimate Italian Dinner at the New York City Wine & Food Festival
- Everything We Couldn't Get Enough of at Chelsea Market Live
- Tacos & Tequila: "The People’s Food"