6 Breakfast Picnic Ideas
What better way to savor the last days of sunshine than packing up a breakfast picnic? There are two ways to do it: Go old school with a blanket in the yard, or head to the patio. Either way, just pack a thermos of coffee, another full of milk (doing double duty as a beverage for the kids, plus creamer for the java), then bring your breakfast out on a tray — it's easier to handle than a basket. Now take your pick: We've got muffins, eggs and more, each of them to go.
1. Baked Scrambled Eggs (pictured above): You don't need a bug-shaped pan to pull this off, but it's sure fun. Beaten eggs plus milk and the toppings of your choice (cheese, ham, tomatoes and more) go into the oven for a sturdy egg dish that's just as good at room (or outdoor) temperature as it is hot.
2. Cinnamon Bread Twists: With a blend of whole-wheat flour and white flour, raisins and apple butter, this homemade treat is actually a hearty way to start the day.
3. Breakfast Cookies: It doesn't get more portable than this. Full of cinnamon, nutmeg and oats, Ellie Krieger's good-for-you cookies even include a secret ingredient: a jar of strained carrots. Yep, baby food.
4. Cheddar, Ham and Egg Casserole: Sometimes transporting one big pan is much simpler than packing lots of little things. Plus, this casserole is one you can make the night before and pop into the oven when you wake up. It'll be warm by the time you're ready to go.
5. Double Chocolate Banana Muffins: Believe it or not, these little muffins are actually a healthy breakfast full of fresh bananas, maple syrup, whole oats, and of course a bit of cocoa powder and chocolate chips. We did say "double chocolate," after all.
6. Jumbo Maple-Pecan Scone: Scones are great to-go food because they’re not easily squished. Plus, this one is baked like a pizza that you slice into eight pieces, one (or two) for everyone.