Best 5 Apple Crisp Recipes
Unlike pies, which require gently rolling out two sheets of dough, crisps necessitate little more than mixing up a sweet, crumbly mixture and sprinkling it atop the fruit on the bottom. From cherries and berries to tart rhubarb and juicy peaches, the options for crisp fillings are endless, but come autumn, seasonal apples are a favorite choice. Read on below to check out Food Network's top-five apple crisp recipes to find dessert inspiration from Sunny Anderson, Alex Guarnaschelli, Pat and Gina Neely, Ina Garten and more chefs.
5. Baked Apple with Crisp Topping — Think of Sunny's take on apple crisp as a composed alternative to the traditional casserole-style presentation. Instead of slicing the apples into multiple pieces, she simply halves the fruit, then bakes each portion with a brown sugar-cinnamon topping.
4. Apple Crisp — "I would love to take full credit for this recipe, but it is simply the recipe my mother made year after year when I was growing up," Alex says. "So simple and delicious."
3. Skillet Granola Apple Crisp — After the apples are sauteed on the stove, this crisp moves to the oven to finish cooking, so it's important to use an oven-safe skillet when starting the recipe.
2. Apple Crisp — A lightened-up take on a classic recipe, the Neelys' big-batch dessert uses just a bit of butter to promise satisfying results, plus chopped pecans in the filling and topping, which offer welcome crunch.
1. Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp — Ina's tried-and-true crisp (pictured above) is laced with fragrant spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and it's finished with a rich oat crumble on top. Click the play button on the video below to see how Ina makes it.