8 Crowd-Pleasing Brussels Sprouts for Your Thanksgiving Table — Fall Fest
From the stuffing to the mashed potatoes, there are certain sides you just can't do without on Thanksgiving. Now, more than ever, once-unloved Brussels sprouts have eclipsed a lot of other vegetables, working to balance an otherwise heavy meal. As you begin brainstorming the must-haves for your Thanksgiving menu, be sure to work these simple yet to-die-for Brussels sprouts sides into the lineup.
1. Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts — Ina Garten's Brussels sprouts (pictured above) are perhaps the most elegant of all, layering the flavor of salty diced pancetta with fruity, tart balsamic vinegar.
2. Roasted Brussels Sprouts — Food Network Magazine's back-to-basics recipe may simply involve roasting, but the smart addition of red pepper flakes, white wine vinegar and honey leave every caramelized sprout layered with flavor.
3. Brussels Sprouts Gratin — This cheesy veggie side takes only five ingredients, including a topping of Gruyère cheese that instills a creamy nuttiness in every bite.
4. Crunchy-Sweet Brussels Sprouts Salad — Swap the standard green leaf salad by shredding whole Brussels sprouts into thin strips. After sauteing the deconstructed sprouts with nutmeg, toss them with crunchy walnuts and tangy dried cranberries for the ultimate taste of fall.
5. Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips and Brussels Sprouts — If menu planning is always an act of indecision, roast a slew of seasonal veggies instead of settling on just one. Giada De Laurentiis roasts this perfect union in the same pan with homemade Italian seasoning.
6. Brussels Sprouts with Bacon — Be careful: Once you pair salty, crispy bacon with your Brussels sprouts, you may never go back. After the bacon reaches sizzling perfection, saute the sprouts in the bacon fat until the edges become nice and crisp y.
7. Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts — Amid all of the buttery, creamy sides that Thanksgiving necessitates, Food Network Magazine's recipe includes cumin, lemon juice and cilantro, and it works as a refreshing palate cleanser.
8. Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta — After pan-frying pancetta until it's golden brown and crispy, Bobby Flay combines it with earthy Brussels sprouts and Yukon gold potatoes before roasting it all on the same pan.
Visit Thanksgiving Central for more Thanksgiving side dish ideas.
Get more Brussels sprouts recipes from family and friends:
Dishin & Dishes: Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Pine Nuts
The Cultural Dish: Roasted Brussels Sprouts - Three Ways
In Jennie's Kitchen: Penne with Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts & Butternut Squash
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Roasted Brussels Sprouts Empanadas with Mustard Sauce
Red or Green: Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Peppers Pizza
Taste with the Eyes: Quinoa Omelette filled with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cheddar
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mint, Cilantro and Vietnamese Style Dressing
Domesticate Me: Kabocha Squash Quinoa Bake with Brussels Sprouts and Pancetta
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad with Caramelized Onions