26 Healthiest Summer Sides
Fat-drenched side salads are the norm when it comes to cook-outs. But lighten up the dressing and you’ll be able to savor those delicious spring flavors—fresh fruit, veggies, and herbs—in every bite. Here are 26 side dishes that’ll make your mouth water-- all for less than 250 calories per serving.
Toss those farmers’ market finds or extra veggies in your CSA box right on the grill. It’s a perfectly simple way to enjoy fresh veggies.
- Grilled Bok Choy
- Grilled Scallions
- Grilled Vegetable Salad with Feta and Mint (pictured above)
- Grilled Shiitake Mushroom Salad on Mizuna with Ponzu Style Dressing
- Grilled Brussels Sprouts
- Grilled Asparagus
- “Old Bay” Grilled Steak Fries
- Garlic and Herb Sweet Potato Fries
- Marinated Grilled Cherry Tomato Skewers
- Grilled Summer Squash
Dress up your salads by tossing them in your favorite dressing—just don’t drown the veggies! Aim for 2 tablespoons of dressing per serving.
Grain salads are the perfect way to enjoy whole grains and get your daily dose of fiber. These salads have less than 250 calories each because portions are kept to about ¾-cup servings.