5 Things You Didn’t Know About Cheese (Plus 10 Cheesy Recipes)
Is cheese a staple ingredient of your menus? Here are some nutrition tips, a couple of insights and, of course, some healthy cheesy recipes.
1. Lower-moisture cheeses, including Parmesan, Romano and Swiss, are lower in lactose and may therefore be tolerated better by people who suffer from lactose intolerance.
2. A one-ounce serving of cheese is about the size of six dice. (See what it looks like.)
3. In addition to bone-building calcium, cheese offers good-for-you nutrients like protein, riboflavin, vitamin B6, selenium and zinc.
4. There's more to cheese pairings than wine (although that is always divine). Try matching cheese with beer, dried fruit or chocolate.
5. According to Wisconsin cheese makers Sartori Cheese, fruity cheeses are still trendy but flavors like cinnamon, chipotle, habenero and caramel are on the rise.