11. Caponata Make Eggplant Caviar (No. 10). Sauté 1/2 cup each chopped celery, red bell pepper, tomato and red onion in olive oil, then stir in 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar and 2 teaspoons sugar; mix with the Eggplant Caviar. Stir in 2 teaspoons capers.
12. Olive Tapenade Pulse 1 cup black olives, 3 anchovies, 2 tablespoons each olive oil and capers, 1 tablespoon each lemon juice and parsley, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme and 1 garlic clove in a food processor.
13. Tomato Tapenade Make Olive Tapenade (No. 12) with 2 cups oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes instead of olives. Use white wine vinegar in place of the lemon juice and basil instead of thyme. Thin with water.
14. Clam Dip Puree 2 cans clams with 8 ounces cream cheese, a handful of parsley, 1/2 cup each cottage cheese and mayonnaise, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 tablespoons clam juice and 1/2 teaspoon celery salt. Add the zest and juice of
1 lemon, and salt and pepper.
15. Romesco Dip Puree 1/2 cup toasted almonds, 2 roasted red peppers, 2 chopped seeded tomatoes, 1 garlic clove, 1 slice toast and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika. Add 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil; puree.
16. Refried-Bean Dip Sauté 1/2 chopped onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves and 2 teaspoons ground cumin in olive oil. Add 2 cans pinto beans and salt; mash, adding chicken broth until creamy.
17. Tzatziki Mix 1 grated peeled cucumber, 2 cups Greek yogurt, 1 small minced garlic clove and 1 tablespoon each chopped mint, dill and white wine vinegar.
18. Spicy Raita Make Tzatziki (No. 17) without dill and vinegar. Add 1 diced jalapeño, 1 diced tomato, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro.
19. Baked Ricotta Mix 1 cup ricotta, 1 teaspoon each chopped sage and lemon zest, and salt and pepper. Bake in an oiled ramekin at 300 degrees, 20 minutes.
20. Herb Mayonnaise Blanch 2 cups mixed fresh herbs in boiling water, 30 seconds. Puree with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 2 tablespoons mango chutney and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add a splash of lime juice.