31. Wasabi Dip Combine 2 tablespoons wasabi powder and 2 tablespoons water, then set aside 20 minutes. Mash with 8 ounces each cream cheese and ricotta and 3 tablespoons each mirin (rice wine) and rice vinegar.
32. Roasted Garlic-Bacon Dip Cut the tops off 2 heads garlic, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and bake at 400 degrees until tender, 45 minutes. Make Onion Dip (No. 29) using the roasted garlic pulp in place of the sautéed onions. Add 6 slices chopped crisp bacon.
33. Tomato Chutney Toast 1 teaspoon each coriander, fennel and cumin seeds in vegetable oil. Add 2 pounds chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoons each tomato paste and grated ginger, and a pinch each of curry powder, cayenne, sugar and salt. Sauté until thick. Serve with flatbread.
34. Horseradish Dip Mix 1 pound grated cheddar, 1 grated apple and 1/4 cup each mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish and beer. Add 1 teaspoon each Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Season with onion and garlic powders.
35. Bagna Cauda Melt 1 stick butter with 1/2 cup olive oil. Add 5 chopped garlic cloves and 8 chopped anchovies; mash. Serve warm with crudites.
36. Aioli Whisk 2 or 3 minced garlic cloves with 2 egg yolks. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups olive oil. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste; thin with water as needed. Serve with crudites.
37. Olive Aioli Make Aioli (No. 36). Stir in 3 tablespoons store-bought olive tapenade.
38. Orange-Saffron Aioli Make Aioli (No. 36) with orange juice instead of lemon. Steep 1/2 teaspoon saffron in 2 tablespoons Pernod for 5 minutes, then add to the aïoli.
39. Tomatillo Salsa Broil 20 husked and rinsed tomatillos, 1 sliced onion and 4 unpeeled garlic cloves until charred. Peel the garlic and puree with the tomatillos, onion, 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, 2 tablespoons cilantro and a pinch each of sugar and salt.
40. White-Bean Dip Fry 10 sage leaves, 4 chopped garlic cloves and a pinch of red pepper flakes in 1/4 cup olive oil. Add 1 can cannellini beans and 1/3 cup water; warm through, then puree. Add a splash of lemon juice and a pinch of salt.