Essential Picnic Checklist
Follow this outdoor dining checklist and you'll be the best-prepared picnicker at the beach or park.
For Toting and Seating:
- Picnic basket or canvas bag
- Picnic blanket (preferably waterproof on the bottom)
- Picnic chairs (if anyone in your group is not happy on the ground)
- Portable picnic table (if that's the kind of picnic you're having!)
- Utensils (including serving utensils)
- Drinks (including lots of water)
- Bottle opener
- Cutting board (also useful as a level serving surface, perfect for drinks)
- Sharp knife (even if you don't plan to cut things, it's still a good idea)
- Salt and pepper
- Mustard, mayo, ketchup, etc., if needed (a great way to make use of extra packets from a takeout place)
- Paper towels (and maybe wet wipes)
- A couple of dishtowels (always handy, and useful to buffer and support dishes in transport)
- Extra plastic containers or sturdy zipper-top bags for packing up dirty utensils, leftovers, etc.
- Trash bags
- Insect repellent
- Flashlight (if you plan to be out into the evening hours)
- Sport or activity equipment (Frisbees, balls, bubbles, water guns ... whatever the crowd likes)
With this handy chart, quickly whip up refreshing sips all season long.