- Count on 3 drinks per guest.
- Provide guests with non-alcoholic drink choices.
- Assume some of your guests will be vegetarians.
- Count on 4 to 6 hors d'oeuvres per person if you're serving a meal. If you're just serving hors d'oeuvres with cocktails, the amount goes up to 12 pieces per person.
- A portion of meat per person is 1/4 to 1/3 pound.
- A portion of vegetables, rice, pasta or salad is 1/2 cup.
- A 9-inch pie or tart (after a large meal) will serve 8 to 10.
- A bottle of wine will serve 5 glasses.
- Always prepare a selection of items that can be served at room temperature. That way you don't have to worry that your hot entree will be getting cold, or that your cold dessert will be melting.
Servings Sizes for a Crowd
Know how much food to have on hand