Chef George Stella is joined by best-selling cookbook author Dana Carpender to prepare some of her favorite quick and easy, low carb gourmet meals. Together they make a heaping fresh spinach salad topped with toasted pecans; a feta-spinach salmon roast; a dish Dana calls "Little Mama's Side Dish" which uses chopped cauliflower as its base mixed with green pepper, chopped onion and sautéed bacon; and finally a simple dessert called strawberry cups topped with a pretty fanned strawberry and a dollop of homemade whipped cream.
Top 5 Tips
1. Cauliflower is a great stand-in for potatoes and rice, adding texture while picking up the flavor of whatever it is cooked with.
2. Low carb is about freshness, but not everyone has time to prepare a fresh meal everyday. Stay healthy by preparing things in large quantities and saving the leftovers. Protein-packed chilis and meat roasts are easy to make and can last for days in the fridge.
3. Watch out for unsuspecting veggies. Onions are what George calls a "borderline vegetable" since it contains so many natural sugars. Limit yourself by using one onion for up to four different meals.
4. Olives are a great salty snack alternative for low carb diet programs.
5. Berries are an excellent choice for low carb dieters. They are lower in sugar than their fruit counterparts and are packed with anti-oxidants.