41. Carob Brownies Combine 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup each whole-wheat flour, carob chips and toasted walnuts, 1/3 cup each brown sugar and carob powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Whisk 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup apple juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; stir in the flour mixture. Spread in the pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
42. Giftable Brownie Mix Mix 1 cup flour, 3/4 cup each light brown sugar and granulated sugar, 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in an airtight container. (To bake, whisk with 2 sticks melted butter, 1/4 cup hot water, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Bake in a 9-inch-square pan at 350 degrees F, 40 minutes.)
43. Brownie Thins Pulse 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder, 2/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon each baking soda and salt, and 1 1/2 sticks butter in a food processor until combined. Pat into a disk between pieces of parchment; chill 10 minutes. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick and remove the parchment; cut into small squares. Transfer to baking sheets; chill 10 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees F, 10 minutes.
44. Toffee Brownies Make Fudgy Brownies (No. 11), folding 1/2 cup toffee bits into the batter. Top with 1/4 cup toffee bits before baking.
45. Triple Chocolate Sundaes Make Fudgy Brownie batter (No. 11); spread in the pan, sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake. Serve topped with chocolate ice cream and hot fudge.
46. Brownie Pops Cut brownies into small squares; skewer with lollipop sticks. Melt 1 cup chopped semisweet chocolate with 4 teaspoons shortening. Dip the brownies in the melted chocolate; top with chocolate sprinkles. Place on parchment paper to set.
47. Brownie Petits Fours Cut brownies into 1-inch squares. Spread half of the squares with jam; sandwich with the rest. Place on a rack set on a rimmed baking sheet. Pour melted white chocolate over the sandwiches; decorate with sprinkles. Let set.
48. Brownie Ice Cream Bars Slice brownies in half horizontally. Spread one half with raspberry jam and the other with softened mint ice cream. Press together and freeze until firm.
49. Bananas Foster Brownies Melt 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup light brown sugar in a skillet, stirring. Add 3 sliced bananas; cook until golden. Add 1/4 cup light rum and 1 tablespoon banana liqueur. Off the heat, ignite with a match and let the flame burn off. Spoon over brownies; top with vanilla ice cream.
50. Frozen Brownie Mud Pie Press 1 1/4 cups crumbled brownies into a pie plate; freeze. Fill with softened coffee ice cream and top with toffee bits; freeze. Top with whipped cream and hot fudge.
Photographs by Yunhee Kim