11. Candied Grapefruit Peels Peel 2 grapefruits. Cut the rind into strips and boil in water 1 minute, then drain; repeat 4 times, using fresh water each time. Simmer 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Add the peel and cook until the liquid is absorbed, 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to dry, 8 hours. Toss in sugar.
12. Chocolate Orange Peels Peel 3 oranges. Cut the rind into strips and boil in water 15 minutes, then drain and rinse. Simmer 3 cups each sugar and water. Add the peel and cook until soft, 45 minutes. Drain and toss in sugar. Transfer to a rack to dry, 8 hours. Dip in melted bittersweet chocolate; let harden.
13. Crystallized Ginger Cover 1 pound sliced peeled ginger with water and simmer until tender, 45 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid, then drain. Simmer the reserved cooking liquid, the ginger and 1 1/2 cups sugar, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Toss the ginger in the sugar left in the pan. Transfer to a rack to cool.
14. Strawberry Jellies Puree 2 pounds thawed frozen strawberries; strain through a sieve into a wide saucepan. Stir in 2 cups sugar and boil, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reaches 223 degrees F, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 3 minutes. Off the heat, stir in 5 tablespoons liquid pectin. Pour into a foil-lined 8-inch-square pan and chill until firm. Cut into squares; toss in sugar.
15. Peach Jellies Make Strawberry Jellies (No. 14), replacing the berries with thawed frozen peaches.
16. Kiwi Jellies Make Strawberry Jellies (No. 14), replacing the berries with 2 1/2 pounds peeled kiwis and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
17. Chocolate Fruit Jellies Melt 8 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate with 2 teaspoons shortening in the microwave. Dip Strawberry, Peach or Kiwi Jellies (Nos. 14, 15 or 16) in the melted chocolate. Chill until firm.
18. Cocoa Almonds Melt 8 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate with 2 teaspoons shortening in the microwave. Dip toasted almonds in the melted chocolate, letting the excess drip off. Transfer to a foil-lined pan. When just firm, roll in cocoa powder.
19. Turtles Arrange small clusters of pecans on a baking sheet. Melt unwrapped soft caramels in the microwave and drizzle over each cluster. Top with melted chocolate. Let harden.
20. Chocolate Coins Melt 8 ounces chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate with 2 teaspoons shortening in the microwave. Spread teaspoonfuls in circles on a foil-lined baking sheet. Decorate with silver or white nonpareils. Chill until firm. Wrap in gold foil.