21. Sugar Plums Finely chop 1 1/4 cups toasted almonds in a food processor with 1 1/2 cups each prunes and dried apricots, 3 tablespoons honey, 1 teaspoon orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Roll into balls, then roll in coarse sugar.
22. Spiced Rum Balls Mix 3 3/4 cups crushed vanilla wafer cookies, 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 3/4 teaspoon each nutmeg and cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger. Stir in 3 tablespoons light corn syrup and 1/3 cup each brandy and rum. Roll into balls and chill until firm. Roll in confectioners’ sugar.
23. Nutty Cookie Balls Mix 3 cups crushed butter cookies, 1 cup each finely chopped salted mixed nuts and sweetened condensed milk, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Roll into balls, then roll in crushed butter cookies.
24. Chocolate-Hazelnut Crunch Balls Mix 3/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts, 1 cup crisp rice cereal and 1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread. Roll into balls, then roll in confectioners’ sugar.
25. Minty Marshmallows Drizzle marshmallows with melted chocolate and press in crushed peppermint candies. Chill until firm. Float in a cup of hot cocoa.
26. Cinnamon Marshmallows Drizzle marshmallows with melted chocolate and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Chill until firm. Float in a cup of hot cocoa.
27. Pumpkin Seed Candy Cook 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a skillet over medium-high heat, swirling the pan but not stirring, until dark amber, about 7 minutes. Off the heat, stir in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 1/2 pounds toasted hulled pumpkin seeds. Using an oiled spoon, scoop and spread into circles on an oiled parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Let cool.
28. Sesame Seed Candy Make Pumpkin Seed Candy (No. 27), replacing the pumpkin seeds with toasted sesame seeds.
29. Salted Caramel Sauce Simmer 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, swirling the pan but not stirring, until dark amber, about 12 minutes. Off the heat, whisk in 1 cup cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Let cool, then divide among jars and chill.
30. Chocolate Caramels Line an 8-inch-square pan with foil and brush with oil. Melt 2 sticks butter in a saucepan, then add 2 cups sugar, 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup, a 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reaches 248 degrees F, about 15 minutes. Pour into the prepared pan and cool. Cut into squares.