11. Sweet Potato–Chocolate Make Banana Muffins (No. 9), replacing the nuts with mini chocolate chips and the banana with canned sweet potato puree.
12. Pumpkin Make Banana Muffins (No. 9), adding 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice with the flour, omitting the nuts and replacing the banana with canned pure pumpkin. Top with hulled pumpkin seeds and turbinado sugar before baking.
13. Persimmon Make Banana Muffins (No. 9), adding 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom with the flour, omitting the nuts and replacing the banana with 3/4 cup pureed peeled persimmons.
14. Chocolate Melt 6 tablespoons butter with 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate. Mix 1 3/4 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Whisk 1 cup milk, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla, then stir into the flour mixture. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture. Divide among 12 prepared muffin cups and bake 22 to 28 minutes.
15. Cherry-Chocolate Thaw, drain and chop 1 cup frozen pitted cherries. Make Chocolate Muffins (No. 14), adding the cherries with the flour and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract with the vanilla.
16. Chocolate Macaroon Mix 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut, 1 beaten egg white, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Make Chocolate Muffins (No. 14), filling the cups halfway with the batter; top with the coconut mixture and the remaining batter, then bake.
17. Candy Cane Make Chocolate Muffins (No. 14), adding 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies with the flour. Sprinkle with more crushed candies before baking.
18. Blueberry-Corn Tops Make Corn Muffins (No. 23), replacing the regular flour with cake flour and adding 3/4 cup blueberries with the flour; increase the sugar by 2 tablespoons and the baking powder by 1 teaspoon, and reduce the milk to 1/3-2/3 cup. Arrange 1/3-cup mounds of batter 2 inches apart on oiled baking sheets. Chill 30 minutes, then bake at 375 degrees F, 16 to 18 minutes.
19. Mexican Hot Cocoa Make Chocolate Muffins (No. 14), adding 1 teaspoon cinnamon with the flour. Bake and cool, then insert a cinnamon stick into each and top with halved mini marshmallows.
20. Chocolate–Pecan Pie Make Chocolate Muffins (No. 14). Make a dent in each while still warm; cool. Cook 1/4 cup each brown sugar, corn syrup and butter with 1 beaten egg and 1 teaspoon each cornstarch and vanilla over medium heat, stirring, until thick. Stir in 3/4 cup chopped pecans; cool. Spoon the pecan mixture over the muffins.