11. Cocoa-Banana Pancakes Make Basic Pancakes (No. 1) with just 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour; add 1/3 cup cocoa powder with the flour and use 2/3 cup sugar. Add 2 mashed bananas and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips to the batter.
12. Bacon-Apple Pancakes Make Basic Pancakes (No. 1); add 1/4 cup crumbled bacon and 1/2 grated apple to the batter.
13. Buttermilk Pancakes Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt. Whisk 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, 1/2 stick melted butter, 2 eggs and a little vanilla, then whisk into the flour mixture until just combined. Ladle 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot buttered skillet and cook until bubbly. Flip and cook until golden on the bottom.
14. Cherry-Topped Pancakes Cook 2 cups pitted cherries, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon water over low heat until syrupy. Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13); top with the cherry syrup.
15. Rum-Raisin Sundaes Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13); add 1/4 cup plumped raisins to the batter. Heat 1/4 cup syrup with 1 tablespoon rum and 1/4 cup raisins. Top the pancakes with ice cream and the rum syrup.
16. Peach Corn Cakes Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13) with just .3/4 cup flour; add 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal with the flour. Omit the butter. Add 1 cup chopped peaches to the batter. Top with peaches warmed in syrup.
17. Rhubarb Pancakes Simmer 1 cup chopped rhubarb with 1/2 cup sugar until soft. Cool, then drain; reserve the syrup. Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13); add half of the rhubarb to the batter. Top with strawberries and the remaining rhubarb and syrup.
18. Yogurt Pancakes Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13) with 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt instead of buttermilk.
19. Banana-Spice Cakes Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13) with 3/4 cup sour cream plus 3/4 cup milk instead of buttermilk; add a dash of cinnamon to the batter. Add sliced bananas before flipping. Top with sour cream and brown sugar.
20. Bourbon-Bacon Pancakes Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13) with 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup rye flour. Add 1 tablespoon bourbon to the batter. Heat 1/2 cup syrup, 1 tablespoon bourbon and some crumbled bacon for topping.