21. Red Velvet Pancakes Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13) with just 1 cup flour; add 1/2 cup cocoa powder with the flour. Use 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar instead of granulated and omit the butter. Tint the batter with red food coloring. Top with sweetened mascarpone or whipped cream cheese.
22. Dutch Baby Mix 4 eggs, 1 cup milk, 2/3 cup flour, 1/2 stick melted butter, 3 tablespoons sugar and a little vanilla in a blender. Melt some butter in a cast-iron skillet. Add 1 sliced pear, then the batter; bake at 375 degrees F, 35 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
23. Pumpkin Pancakes Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13) with just 1 cup buttermilk. Add 1/2 cup pumpkin puree and 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips to the batter.
24. Sour Silver Dollars Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13) without baking powder. Use 3/4 cup sour cream plus 1/4 cup milk instead of buttermilk and butter. Cook by tablespoonfuls.
25. Lemon Stacks Make Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13) with 3/4 cup sour cream plus
2/3 cup milk instead of buttermilk and butter. Add the zest and juice of 1 lemon to the batter. Cook by 2 tablespoonfuls; layer with lemon curd and top with whipped cream.
26. Pancakes with Apricots Simmer 1 cup chopped dried apricots, 1 tablespoon apricot jam, 1/2 cup water and 1 teaspoon honey until the apricots are plump. Make Basic Pancakes (No. 1) or Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13); top with the apricots.
27. Tropical Pancakes Simmer 3/4 cup agave nectar, 1 vanilla bean (split and seeds scraped), 1 strip orange zest and 1/4 cup orange juice until syrupy, then stir in 1 cup diced mango and pineapple. Make Basic Pancakes (No. 1) or Buttermilk Pancakes (No. 13); top with the fruit syrup.
28. Crepes Mix 3 eggs, 1 3/4 cups milk, 1 cup flour, 5 tablespoons melted butter and a pinch of salt in a blender. Pour a thin film of batter into a small hot buttered nonstick pan; cook until set, then flip and cook 30 more seconds.
29. Crepes Suzette Make Crepes (No. 28). Melt 1 stick butter in a medium skillet. Stir in 6 tablespoons orange liqueur and tilt to ignite. When the flame dies, add the crepes, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 strip each orange and lemon peel. Warm through.
30. Swedish Pancakes Mix 3 eggs, 2 cups milk, 1 1/2 cups flour, 6 tablespoons melted butter, 1 tablespoon sugar and a pinch of salt in a blender. Cook as directed for Crepes (No. 28). Serve with berries or jam.