How to Cook Panini
In a panini press: Preheat the press. Add your sandwich and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions until golden and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
On the stove: Preheat a skillet with butter or oil to medium low. Add your sandwich, then press a heavy pan on top to weigh it down. Cook until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
1. Caprese Brush the inside of a split sub roll or sliced Italian bread with olive oil. Fill with 2 slices each fresh mozzarella and tomato, and a few basil leaves; season with salt and pepper. Press and cook until golden.
2. Smoked Caprese Make Caprese Panini (No. 1) with smoked mozzarella.
3. Eggplant-Mozzarella Make Caprese Panini (No. 1) with smoked or fresh mozzarella; replace the tomato with grilled eggplant slices.
4. Anchovy Caprese Make Caprese Panini (No. 1), adding 1/2 chopped anchovy fillet and a sprinkle of capers to the sandwich.
5. Prosciutto Caprese Make Caprese Panini (No. 1), adding 3 thin slices prosciutto and some shaved parmesan to the sandwich.
6. Pesto Turkey Make Caprese Panini (No. 1); brush the inside of the roll with pesto instead of olive oil and add 3 or 4 slices roasted turkey breast to the sandwich.
7. Chicken Saltimbocca Brush the inside of a split ciabatta roll with pesto. Fill with sliced grilled chicken, fontina and prosciutto, and chopped fresh sage. Press and cook until golden.
8. Apple-Manchego Brush the inside of a split soft roll with olive oil and quince paste or fig jam. Fill with sliced apple and manchego cheese; season with salt. Press and cook until golden.
9. Chorizo-Pear Make Apple-Manchego Panini (No. 8) with sliced pear instead of apple; add sliced Spanish chorizo to the sandwich.
10. Roast Beef–Onion Spread dijon mustard on 2 thick slices of sourdough bread. Layer shredded gruyere, sliced roast beef, caramelized onions and more gruyere between the bread. Press and cook until golden.