21. Pumpkin Mousse Bake the crust for Pumpkin Pie. Heat the pumpkin and evaporated milk over medium heat. Whisk the sugar, eggs, spices and 3 tablespoons cornstarch in a bowl; whisk into the pumpkin mixture and boil, whisking, until thick. Cool slightly, then pour into the crust, cover and chill overnight. Top with whipped cream.
22. Spiced Sweet Potato Make Pumpkin Pie, replacing the pumpkin with 2 cups canned sweet potato puree and using 3/4 cup sugar. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon five-spice powder. To serve, top with whipped cream and chopped crystallized ginger.
23. Sweet Potato–Marshmallow Make Pumpkin Pie, replacing the pumpkin with 2 cups canned sweet potato puree. Top with 1 cup mini marshmallows and broil or torch until golden brown.
24. Pumpkin-Cheesecake Swirl Make Pumpkin Pie filling with 3/4 cup pumpkin, 1/4 cup evaporated milk, 1 egg and half of the sugar and spices. Separately, combine 12 ounces softened cream cheese, 1/3 cup each sour cream and sugar, and 2 eggs; stir one-third into the pumpkin filling. Pour the pumpkin filling into the crust, then top with the remaining cream cheese mixture; swirl with a toothpick. Bake 50 minutes.
25. Sweet Potato–Bacon Make Pumpkin Pie, replacing the pumpkin with 2 cups canned sweet potato puree and using 3/4 cup sugar; add 2 tablespoons bourbon. Toss 3 strips roughly chopped bacon with 1 teaspoon sugar and cook until crisp; sprinkle on the pie just before serving.
MAKES: one 9-inch pie
1 disk dough for Basic Crust
All-purpose flour, for dusting
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups pecan halves, toasted
Roll out the dough into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Ease into a 9-inch pie plate; fold the overhang under itself and crimp. Chill 30 minutes.
Place a baking sheet on the lowest oven rack and preheat to 425 degrees F for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make the filling: Whisk all of the remaining ingredients except the pecans in a bowl.
Spread the pecans in the crust and pour in the filling. Place the pie on the hot baking sheet and lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Bake until the crust is golden and the filling is set, 45 to 55 minutes. (Cover the edges with foil if they brown too quickly.) Cool on a rack.
27. Chocolate-Pecan Make Pecan Pie, adding 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate to the filling.
28. Date-Pecan Make Pecan Pie with only 1/2 cup corn syrup; add 2/3 cup chopped dates to the filling and chop the pecans.
29. Butter-Scotch-Pecan Cook 6 tablespoons butter until brown; cool. Make Pecan Pie, replacing the melted butter with the brown butter; omit the lemon juice and add 1/4 cup cream, 2 tablespoons scotch and 1 tablespoon flour to the filling.
30. Coconut-Macadamia Prepare the crust for Pecan Pie. Whisk 1/2 stick melted butter, 3/4 cup cream of coconut, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in 2 cups chopped macadamia nuts, 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut and 2 tablespoons flour. Pour into the crust and bake as for Pecan Pie.