41. Chocolate-Mint Make Chocolate Pie, dividing the filling in half before adding the chocolate. Add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract to one half; add the chocolate and 1 tablespoon cocoa powder to the other half. Pour the mint filling into the crust, then the chocolate filling. Serve topped with whipped cream and crushed peppermints.
42. Mudslide Make Chocolate Pie, replacing the coffee with 1/4 cup coffee liqueur. Serve topped with 3/4 cup cream whipped with 2 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur.
43. Milk Chocolate–Banana Make Chocolate Pie, replacing the semisweet chocolate with milk chocolate. Reduce the sugar to 1/3 cup and add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder with the sugar. Layer 2 sliced bananas in the crust, then add the filling. Serve topped with chocolate sprinkles.
44. White Chocolate–Rum Make Chocolate Pie with only 1/3 cup sugar; replace the coffee with dark rum and the semisweet chocolate with white chocolate. Serve topped with whipped cream and diced mango.
45. Chocolate Mousse Make Chocolate Pie, replacing the semisweet chocolate with 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate. Let the filling cool, then fold in 3/4 cup whipped cream.
46. Mexican Chocolate Make Chocolate Pie, adding 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon roasted cinnamon (or regular cinnamon), 1/4 teaspoon almond extract and 1 large pinch cayenne pepper with the sugar. Serve topped with toasted sliced almonds.
47. Chocolate-Pretzel Make Chocolate Pie; for the crust, use 1 cup ground chocolate cookies, 1 cup finely chopped pretzels and 1 extra tablespoon melted butter. Serve topped with chopped pretzels.
49. S'more Make a Crumb Crust with graham crackers (see first page); bake and cool, then brush with 4 ounces melted bittersweet chocolate and chill. Make half of the Chocolate Pie filling; spread in the crust and chill. Beat 3 egg whites, 1 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar in a heatproof bowl over simmering water with a mixer until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and beat until stiff. Spread on the pie and broil or torch until golden.
50. Brownie Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Whisk in 4 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons cooled coffee, 6 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 4 ounces melted bittersweet chocolate. Pour into a Crumb Crust (see first page) and bake at 350 degrees F, 20 to 24 minutes.
Photographs by Antonis Achilleos