41. Southwestern Toss 3 cups each shredded red and green cabbage with 1 tablespoon kosher salt in a colander; let sit 1 hour, then rinse and dry well. Make the dressing for Cobb Slaw (No. 40); toss with the cabbage, 1 cup corn, 1 thinly sliced poblano and 1 small bunch chopped scallions.
42. Wasabi–Snow Pea Whisk 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons each wasabi paste and rice vinegar, and 1 teaspoon each sugar and kosher salt. Toss with 1/2 head shredded napa cabbage, 2 cups thinly sliced snow peas and 2 teaspoons sesame seeds.
43. Asparagus Whisk 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 cup olive oil. Toss with 1/2 head shredded napa cabbage, 1 pound thinly sliced asparagus, 2 thinly sliced shallots and 1 cup shaved parmesan.
44. Soy-Ginger Whisk 1/3 cup rice vinegar, 3 tablespoons each soy sauce and orange juice, 1 tablespoon each sugar and grated ginger, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Toss with 1/2 head shredded napa cabbage, 2 shredded carrots, 1 cup thinly sliced snow peas and 2 thinly sliced Fresno chiles.
45. Spicy Bok Choy Make Soy- Ginger Slaw (No. 44), using 9 cups thinly sliced bok choy instead of the cabbage. Add 2 tablespoons Sriracha to the dressing.
46. Ramen-Ginger Make Soy-Ginger Slaw (No. 44), omitting the chiles and adding 2 each shredded carrots and thinly sliced red bell peppers. Add 2 cups crumbled raw ramen noodles and 1/4 cup roughly chopped scallions.
47. Zucchini-Mozzarella Whisk together 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/3 cup olive oil. Toss 3 shredded zucchini, 1 cup each julienned tomato and fresh mozzarella and 1/2 cup shredded basil with the dressing. Top with some toasted pine nuts.
48. Green Papaya–Peanut Whisk together 3 tablespoons fish sauce, 1/4 cup each lime juice and vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 2 sliced Thai bird chiles. Toss 6 cups julienned green papaya, 1 large julienned red bell pepper and 1/2 cup each chopped cilantro and peanuts with the dressing.
49. Mango-Peanut Make Green Papaya–Peanut Slaw (No. 48), omitting the salt and substituting julienned firm mango for the papaya.
50. Fennel-Orange Soak 1 cup thinly sliced red onion in cold water, 15 minutes; drain. Whisk 1/4 cup champagne vinegar, 2 tablespoons grainy mustard, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar and 2/3 cup olive oil. Toss the dressing with 5 cups each julienned fennel and shredded green cabbage. Toss in the red onion and the segments from 2 oranges.
Photographs by Justin Walker