11. Chestnut Make Classic Stuffing (No. 1), cooking 1 1/2 cups chopped chestnuts with the onions.
12. Giblet Simmer the turkey neck and giblets (except the liver) in 3 cups turkey or chicken broth until tender, 1 hour. Add the liver and cook 5 minutes. Strain and reserve the broth, then chop the giblets (including the liver) and the neck meat. Make Classic Stuffing (No. 1), adding the giblets and neck with the onions and using the reserved broth.
13. Mushroom-Leek Make Classic Stuffing (No. 1) with 3 cups chopped leeks instead of onions. Cook 1 pound sliced cremini mushrooms with the leeks and celery.
14. Porcini Make Classic Stuffing (No. 1) with shallots instead of onions and rosemary instead of sage. Cook 4 ounces chopped prosciutto and 1 pound sliced porcini mushrooms with the shallots and celery.
15. Wild Mushroom Make Classic Stuffing (No. 1) with 3 cups chopped leeks instead of onions and rosemary instead of sage; cook with 1 pound sliced mixed wild mushrooms.
16. Spinach-Gruyere Make Classic Stuffing (No. 1) with 3 cups chopped leeks instead of onions; cook with 1 pound sliced cremini mushrooms. Let the broth mixture cool slightly. Add 6 cups chopped spinach and 1 cup diced gruyère with the bread.
17. Roasted Vegetable Roast 8 cups diced winter squash, carrots, parsnips and red onion at 400 degrees F until golden, about 25 minutes. Make Classic Stuffing (No. 1), substituting the roasted vegetables for half of the bread.
18. Stuffing Muffins Line 12 jumbo muffin cups with paper liners and fill with your favorite bread stuffing (we used Mushroom-Leek, No. 13). Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F until golden, about 45 minutes.
19. Sourdough Make Classic Stuffing (No. 1) with sourdough. Use rosemary instead of sage.
20. Sausage Brown 1 pound crumbled sausage in 6 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 cups each diced onions and celery and 1 tablespoon each minced sage and thyme; add salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes. Add 3 cups chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Beat 2 eggs with 1/4 cup chopped parsley in a bowl; add 16 cups cubed stale white bread, then pour in the vegetable-broth mixture and toss. Transfer to a buttered baking dish and dot with butter. Cover and bake at 375 degrees F, 30 minutes; uncover and bake until golden, 30 more minutes.