How to heat taco shells and tortillas:
Hard taco shells: Bake 4 minutes at 350 degrees F, or microwave 45 seconds.
Soft 6-inch corn or flour tortillas: Heat in a dry skillet or on the grill, 30 seconds per side, or wrap in foil and bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. You can also wrap in a damp towel and microwave 1 minute.
1. Ground Beef Saute 1 chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves in oil. Add 1 tablespoon chili powder and 2 teaspoons each cumin and coriander; cook 30 seconds. Add 1 pound ground beef and cook until browned. Add 2 tablespoons broth, and salt to taste. Serve in hard taco shells and top as desired.
2. Spicy Beef Make Ground Beef Tacos (No. 1), adding 2 teaspoons hot sauce and 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos with the broth.
3. Turkey Make Ground Beef Tacos (No. 1), adding 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon with the spices and replacing the beef with turkey.
4. Sweet and Savory Beef Make Ground Beef Tacos (No. 1), adding 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon with the spices. Replace the broth with 1/4 cup water, then add 3 tablespoons each tomato paste and raisins, 1 tablespoon capers, and salt to taste. Simmer until thick.
5. Queso-Chorizo Brown 2 ounces diced dried chorizo in a skillet; remove with a slotted spoon. Melt 1/2 pound chopped monterey jack in the skillet. Serve in flour tortillas with the chorizo.
6. Carne Asada Season 1 pound skirt steak with salt and pepper; grill and slice. Brush 1 bunch scallions with oil; grill. Serve the steak and scallions in tortillas with lime juice.
7. Fajita Make Carne Asada Tacos (No. 6), replacing the scallions with 1 each thickly sliced onion and bell pepper. Serve in tortillas with sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
8. Beef and Bean Make Ground Beef Tacos (No. 1), adding 1 drained can pinto beans with the broth.
9. Double Shell Spread 2 tablespoons warm refried beans on a flour tortilla. Wrap around a hard taco shell and fill as desired.
10. Spiced Shell Mix 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Deep-fry corn tortillas in 350 degrees F oil, using tongs to hold each in the shape of a taco shell, until crisp, 2 minutes. Drain; sprinkle with the spice mixture. Fill as desired.