41. Shrimp Diablo Saute 3 sliced garlic cloves in oil. Add 1 pound shrimp; cook until just pink. Add 1 tablespoon each tomato paste and chopped chipotles in adobo sauce and 1/4 cup water; simmer until thick. Serve in tortillas with cilantro.
42. Shrimp and Cucumber Mix 3/4 cup plain yogurt, 1/3 cup grated cucumber, 1 tablespoon chopped mint, and salt to taste. Toss 1 pound shrimp with 1 tablespoon achiote paste or powder; grill. Serve in tortillas with the cucumber sauce.
43. Tropical Chicken Toss 1/2 shredded jicama and 3/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper with a pinch each of salt, pepper and sugar, the juice of 1 lime, and some chopped scallion and cilantro. Heat 1/2 cup each barbecue sauce and guava paste with 1/4 cup orange juice and 2 tablespoons rum. Brush on 4 chicken cutlets; grill and slice. Serve in tortillas with the jicama slaw.
44. Spaghetti Warm 2 cups cooked spaghetti with 1 cup tomato sauce and 1 teaspoon hot sauce. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro. Serve in hard taco shells with shredded lettuce and cheese.
45. Chicken Ranchero Saute 1/2 cup each chopped onion and bell pepper, 1 chopped serrano chile and 1/2 teaspoon each cumin and chopped garlic in oil. Add a 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes; simmer until thick. Stir in 3 cups shredded cooked chicken. Serve in tortillas with cilantro.
46. Chicken in Salsa Roja Char 1/4 onion, 4 garlic cloves and 3 plum tomatoes in a dry skillet. Stir in 3 tablespoons chili powder, then add 2 cups chicken broth and boil 10 minutes. Puree, then simmer until thick. Stir in 3 cups shredded cooked chicken. Serve in tortillas.
47. Chicken Taco Wraps Make the filling for Chicken in Salsa Roja Tacos (No. 46); cool. Spread flour tortillas with mayonnaise; add the filling and some chopped pickled jalapenos and carrots. Roll up.
48. Poblano Broil 2 poblano chiles and 1 sliced onion, turning, until charred. Cover the poblanos; cool, peel and slice. Toss with 1 tablespoon each sour cream and lime juice, and salt to taste. Serve in tortillas with cotija or feta cheese.
49. Blackened Salmon Mix 2 teaspoons each brown sugar and ancho chile powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne; rub on 3/4 pound salmon. Cook in an oiled skillet. Chop and serve in tortillas with chopped mango, avocado, sour cream and cilantro.
50. Lobster Puree 1/2 avocado with 1/3 cup water, 2 tablespoons sour cream, 2 teaspoons lime juice, and salt. Toss with chopped cooked lobster; serve in tortillas with corn, cilantro and sliced serrano chiles.
Photographs by David Malosh