11. Wine-Poached Apples Boil 1 bottle red wine, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 star anise pod and 3 strips orange zest in a medium saucepan. Add 4 peeled crisp, tart apples and simmer until tender, 30 minutes. Remove the apples; strain the liquid and boil until syrupy. Serve the apples and syrup over yogurt.
12. Apple Fritters Whisk 1/2 cup each flour and seltzer with a pinch each of salt and apple pie spice. Slice 2 peeled and cored apples into 1/4-inch-thick rings. Dip in the batter and deep-fry in 375 degrees F oil until golden; drain on paper towels and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
13. Apple-Braised Cabbage Cook 4 cups shredded red cabbage and 1 chopped apple in a skillet with 3 tablespoons each butter, cider vinegar and water over medium heat, covered, until tender, 20 minutes.
14. Witch's Candy Apples Melt 1 1/4 cups cherry hard candies and 1 tablespoon light corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat (the mixture will be bubbly). Insert wooden sticks into 4 apples; dip in the candy coating. Set on oiled parchment paper to harden.
15. Caramel Apples Cook 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat, swirling, until golden. Off the heat, stir in 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 teaspoon each vanilla and salt. Transfer to a 4-cup liquid measuring cup; cool slightly. Insert wooden sticks into 4 apples; dip in the caramel. Set on oiled parchment paper to harden.
16. Mulled Cider Bring 6 cups apple cider to a simmer with 1 cinnamon stick, 4 allspice berries, 1 star anise pod and 3 strips lemon zest. To serve, add diced apples.
17. Apple Cake Whisk 1 1/4 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon each salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Shred 1 apple and squeeze dry, then whisk with 2 eggs, 1/2 cup each vegetable oil and milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fold into the flour mixture. Bake in a buttered 9-inch-round pan at 350 degrees F, 20 minutes; cool. Beat 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 stick butter, 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1 teaspoon each lemon juice and vanilla, and a pinch of salt; spread on the cake.
18. Bacon-Apple Dates Stuff pitted dates with small apple pieces. Wrap each in 1/2 slice bacon and secure with a toothpick. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 425 degrees F until crisp, 20 minutes.
19. Apple-Onion Bruschetta Cook 2 sliced onions in oil over medium heat until caramelized, 35 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons Calvados and cook until evaporated. Spread on baguette slices, top with apple slices and sprinkle with grated gruyere. Broil until the cheese melts.
20. Apple-Pork Burgers Mix 1 pound ground pork, 1/2 pound uncased fresh breakfast sausage, 1 small grated apple, 1 grated garlic clove, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties and cook in an oiled skillet over medium-high heat, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve on buns with Swiss cheese, bacon, mustard and sliced apple.