21. Sausage-Apple Skewers Thread 1-inch chunks of apple, bratwurst and red onion on skewers; brush with oil. Grill over medium-high heat, turning, until lightly charred, 10 minutes.
22. Apple Chutney Combine 2 chopped apples, 1/2 chopped red onion, 1 teaspoon minced ginger and 1/4 cup each chopped dried apricots, dried cranberries, sugar and red wine vinegar. Cook until the apples are tender, 15 minutes.
23. Apple Sauerkraut Cook 1 diced apple and a large pinch each of caraway seeds, ground allspice and sugar in 2 tablespoons butter until slightly soft. Stir in 1 pound drained, rinsed sauerkraut and warm through.
24. Apple-Sausage Sandwich Grill or pan-fry your favorite chicken-apple sausage links. Serve in a hot dog bun with mustard and Apple Sauerkraut (No. 23).
25. Pork Chop Choucroute Brown 2 smoked pork chops in oil in a large skillet. Meanwhile, make Apple Sauerkraut (No. 23); add to the pork with 1/4 cup white wine and 2 cups each chicken broth and water. Simmer 30 minutes.
26. Big Apple Cocktail Steep 2 chopped tart apples in 2 cups whiskey overnight; strain. For each cocktail, shake 2 ounces of the apple whiskey, 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth and 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice in a shaker with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with an apple wedge and maraschino cherry.
27. Potato-Apple Pancakes Peel and shred 1 apple and 1 small russet potato; squeeze dry. Mix with 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and a pinch of nutmeg. Fry heaping spoonfuls in butter in a skillet over medium heat, turning, 4 minutes per side.
28. Apple-Horseradish Sauce Whisk 3/4 cup applesauce, 1/4 cup each grated peeled apple and sour cream, 2 tablespoons horseradish, and salt to taste.
29. Apple-Brie Polenta Bring 3 cups water and 1 cup apple cider to a boil. Whisk in 1 cup instant polenta and 1/2 cup grated peeled apple and simmer, whisking, until thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon chopped sage, 1/2 cup brie (rind removed) and 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt.
30. Apple-Mustard Chicken Cook 1 each chopped onion and apple in butter in a skillet until soft. Add 1 cup chicken broth, 1/8 cup prunes and 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard. Add 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts; cover and poach over low heat until cooked through, 15 minutes. Add 1/4 cup cream, and salt, pepper and chopped dill to taste; bring to a simmer to thicken.