41. Pesto Salmon Cakes Mix 1 pound cooked flaked salmon with 1 cup panko, 1/4 cup pesto, 1 egg and 1 tablespoon lemon zest. Form patties; cook in an oiled skillet, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with tartar sauce mixed with pesto.
42. Pesto Swordfish Mix 1/4 cup pesto with the juice of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon hot water. Spoon over grilled or broiled swordfish.
43. Pesto Shrimp Marinate 1 pound shrimp in 2 tablespoons each pesto and olive oil; add 1 lemon (cut into wedges) and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Grill about 3 minutes per side. Season with salt.
44. Pesto Roast Chicken Mix the juice of 1 lemon, 1/3 cup pesto and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes; rub onto a 6-pound chicken. Stuff with garlic and lemon. Roast in a 375 degrees F oven, about 2 hours.
45. Pesto-Sausage Chicken Mix 1/2 pound crumbled sausage with 1/4 cup pesto, 1 chopped shallot and 2 tablespoons each breadcrumbs and grated pecorino. Stuff under the skin of 4 bone-in chicken breasts. Roast in a 375 degrees F oven, about 45 minutes.
46. Pesto Beans Saute 5 sliced garlic cloves and a pinch of red pepper flakes in a skillet with olive oil. Add 2 cans drained cannellini beans and 1 cup water; simmer until thick, 8 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons pesto and 2 tablespoons grated parmesan.
47. Pesto Bean Soup Make Pesto Beans (No. 46). Add 3 cups chicken broth and 1 cup chopped celery; cook 15 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup each chopped olives and roasted peppers.
48. Pesto Mash Boil 3 pounds peeled russet potatoes until tender. Mash with 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup grated parmesan, 1/4 cup olive oil and 3 tablespoons pesto.
49. Pesto Cornbread Prepare an 8.5-ounce box cornbread mix as the label directs, adding 3 tablespoons pesto to the batter.
50. Pesto Frites Whisk 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons each pesto and olive oil, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Serve with french fries.
Photographs by Con Poulos