Garden Fun Facts
- The garden cost $200 to start just seven months ago and has already generated more than 700 pounds of produce
- 15 volunteers a week, plus five full-time chefs, care for the 1100-square-foot space
- Grows six types of lettuce along with greens and spinach, eight types of tomatoes plus tomatillos, and five types of cucumbers – plus dozens of other varieties of vegetables, herbs and fruits.
- First of its kind here since Eleanor Roosevelt's time
- Near this spot is a one-of-a-kind bee-hive that has produced 134 pounds of honey.
- Fruits and vegetables that Thomas Jefferson grew at Monticello are growing in the White House garden.