- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
- Basil leaves, chopped, plus extra for serving
- 1 quart chicken or beef stock, boiling
- 12 ounces stale homemade or stale Italian bread, thinly sliced
Cut the 2 garlic cloves in half and brown in 2 tablespoons of oil. As soon as they start to turn color, add the tomatoes, plenty of basil, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 15 minutes and then add the boiling stock. When this has reached boiling point again, add the thinly sliced bread and continue cooking for 15 more minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. After 1 hour, stir all rigorously so that the bread completely disintegrates. Serve hot or lukewarm, adding a touch of extra-virgin olive oil and fresh basil leaves. No cheese.