- 12 marshmallows, recipe follows or store bought
- 8 graham cracker squares, recipe follows
- 2 milk chocolate bars, the kind that can be broken into squares
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Meanwhile, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Sprinkle the gelatin over the 2 tablespoons cold water and let dissolve. When the syrup reaches 235 degrees F, remove it from the heat, add the gelatin, and mix. Pour the syrup into the whipped egg whites. Add the vanilla and continue whipping until stiff and mostly cooled. Transfer to a pastry bag with a large plain tip.
If you're not making the s'mores right away, just pipe the marshmallow directly onto powdered sugar covered cookie sheets and let set until ready to use, at least 1 hour or overnight. If you're serving them right away, lay half of the graham crackers on a cookie sheet. Top with chocolate pieces to cover, then pipe "kisses" of marshmallow to cover the chocolate. (If using store-bought marshmallows, place 3 marshmallows on top of the chocolate layer. Leftover homemade marshmallows should be stored in airtight containers.) Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake until the marshmallow is puffed and golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining graham crackers, pressing down slightly to make a sandwich. Serve immediately, while still warm.
- Graham Crackers courtesy Wayne Harley Brachman, Retro Desserts by Wayne Harley Brachman: William Morrow Publishers, 2000
Homemade Graham Crackers:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup light rye flour (rye flour can be found in health food stores)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into pea-size bits
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Graham Crackers: In a food processor or the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add the cold butter and mix or process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the honey, molasses, water, and vanilla. Mix until the dough comes together in a ball.
Between 2 sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap, roll the dough 1/2-inch thick. Chill for 1 hour, until firm. Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly flour the dough and roll 1/8-inch thick. With a sharp knife or cookie cutter, cut into 2-inch squares. Arrange the crackers on nonstick or parchment lined cookie sheets. With a fork, prick several holes in each cracker. Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan.
Yield: 48 crackers