8 Treasure Stuffed Turkey with Shiraz-Honey Jus
- Canola oil
- 15 to 20 pound free range, and/or organic turkey
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 cups glutinous rice
- 1/4 cup dried scallops
- 2 Chinese sausage, lap chong, 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large yellow onion, diced 1/4-inch
- 2 carrots, diced 1/4-inch
- 1/2 cup celery, diced 1/4-inch
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups sliced shiitakes
- 1 cup lotus seed (soaked in cold water for 3 to 4 hours), then drained
- 1/2 cup diced bamboo shoots (buy fresh or if canned, soak in cold water for 1 hour and rinse well)
- 1/2 cup fresh water chestnuts, diced 1/4-inch (substitute with jicama if not available)
- 1/3 cup small smoked oysters, drained
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 minced shallots
- 2 cups shiraz wine
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups chicken stock
Preheat oven to 550 degrees (max). Rub oil on the skin and season the inside and outside with salt and pepper. Place in large roasting pan and roast in oven until brown, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a rice cooker, wash rice until clear, fill water to Mt. Fuji, add scallops, sausage and cook. When fully cooked (45 minutes), break up scallops and spread rice out to cool. In a large wok coated with oil, stir fry onions, carrots, celery, ginger and garlic for 1 minute. Add shiitakes, lotus, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts, and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add oysters and mix in. Set aside to cool. Mix with rice and check for seasoning.
Turn oven down to 275 degrees. Pull turkey out and stuff with rice mixture. (There will be extra stuffing which should be heated separately in a covered dish.) Place turkey back in oven, cover loosely with foil to prevent burning, and roast 3 to 5 hours more 20 minutes per pound, until juices run clear and legs move around easily.
For jus: Add shallots to pan and deglaze pan with wine. Add honey, stock and check for seasoning, reduce by 20 percent and reserve warm.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.