A Meaningful Beaning-Ful Bean Salad
- 1/2 pound string beans, cut in half
- 1 large can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry oregano
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 1/2 pound oil cured Greek olives
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Cook string beans in boiling salted water until fork tender (then put in ice bath), drain until dry.
In a large pasta bowl add string beans, chickpeas, kidney beans, garlic, oregano, onion, olives, celery, basil, parsley. Add salt, red and black pepper to taste. Mix well.
Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, toss with salad until combined. Let sit for 1/2 an hour, mixing every 10 minutes to get all ingredients coated with mixture.
Chill for at least 1 hour and serve, salad can be made 1 day ahead of time.
Recipe courtesy Joe Andreacchio