Asparagus and Cheddar Quiche
- 1 (11-inch) store-bought pie dough
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- Pinch cayenne
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white Cheddar
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Roll out pie dough and mold into an 11-inch pie dish, crimping the edges to make ridges. Pierce the dough with a fork several times. Bake in the hot oven until slightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Turn the oven down to 325 degrees F.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter, onions, asparagus, cayenne and garlic. Sprinkle with a pinch salt and a pinch pepper. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until the asparagus is soft and mixture is fragrant. Remove from the pan to a bowl and let cool.
Add the asparagus mixture to the pie shell, then pour in the egg mixture. Top with the Cheddar and bake until the eggs are set, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, cut into wedges and serve.