Beef Pot Roast with Olives and Capers
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless chuck steak
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut in 1/2 and sliced on the bias
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper
- 1/2 cup drained and chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- White rice, for serving, optional
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the oil. Season the chuck roast with salt and pepper. Sear until nicely browned on all sides, about 2 minutes. Add the onions, carrots, garlic, oregano, cumin, cinnamon stick, tomatoes and beef stock. Make a slit in the Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper and add it to the sauce. Cover with a lid and braise in the oven until the meat is fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven, fold in the green olives, capers and parsley and serve over rice, if desired.
Recipe courtesy Aaron McCargo Jr.
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen