Beef Pot Roast with Olives and Capers
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless chuck steak
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut in 1/2 and sliced on the bias
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper
- 1/2 cup drained and chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- White rice, for serving, optional
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the oil. Season the chuck roast with salt and pepper. Sear until nicely browned on all sides, about 2 minutes. Add the onions, carrots, garlic, oregano, cumin, cinnamon stick, tomatoes and beef stock. Make a slit in the Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper and add it to the sauce. Cover with a lid and braise in the oven until the meat is fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven, fold in the green olives, capers and parsley and serve over rice, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen