Best Mussels on Earth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound chorizo, finely diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 bulb fennel, cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 pounds mussels, cleaned and beard removed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread, for serving
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add the oil. Add the red pepper flakes and chorizo. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes to release the flavors. Stir in the onions and fennel and cook until they caramelize, about additional 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saffron and allow the saffron to bloom. Stir in the wine and stock and mix well. Add the mussels and stir. Cover the pot and steam until the mussels open, about to 5 minutes. Remove the lid, then add the tomatoes, herbs, lemon juice and salt and pepper, and stir well. Ladle the mussels and broth into large serving bowl and serve with crusty bread.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.