Big Daddy's Apple Cobbler
- Butter, for dish
- 6 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Ginger Whipped Cream, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup candy ginger, minced
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Lightly butter a 9 by 9-inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix together the apples, sugars, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and lemon. Add the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
Add all the topping ingredients to a medium bowl and combine well with a wooden spoon, to form a batter. Dollop the batter in various spots on top of the apple mixture. The batter will spread as it bakes. Put the cobbler in the oven and bake until the apples are tender and the crust is colored, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve with Ginger Whipped Cream.Ginger Whipped Cream:
Add the cream and sugar to a medium bowl. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the cream until stiff peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Fold in the ginger. Cover and chill up to 4 hours before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.