Blazin' Short Rib Tacos with Roasted Peppers
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless short ribs
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 chipotles, minced
- 1/2 cup hot salsa
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 jar fire roasted whole red peppers, drained and patted dry
- 1 jar fire roasted whole yellow peppers, drained and patted dry
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 to 6 flour tortillas
- 2 limes, cut in wedges, for garnish
- Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the oil. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, to taste. Add short ribs to pan, 1 at a time, and sear on all sides until nicely browned. Remove them from the pan to a platter.
In the same Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add the onions. Cook until the onions are well caramelized, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and mix well. Stir in the chipotles, salsa, stock and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, then add the short ribs and cover. Put the pot in the oven and braise the ribs until the meat is fork tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Remove the ribs from the oven and shred the meat with 2 forks. Slice the peppers into thin strips and put them in a bowl along with the cilantro. Warm the tortillas in the oven. Assemble the fajitas with the desired amount of short rib meat and top with peppers.