California Caesar Salad
- *1 egg yolk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tin anchovies
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 bag romaine hearts, rinsed, patted dry and chopped (3 heads of hearts)
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1 loaf focaccia bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
For the dressing:
In a food processor, add egg yolk, lemon juice, anchovies, and garlic. Pulse until there is an even consistency. With the machine running, slowly add olive and canola oil until emulsified. Add the mustard, salt and pepper and pulse to combine.
For the salad:
Combine all the salad ingredients and toss with dressing until evenly coated.
For the croutons:
Place cubed bread into a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss together. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until brown and crispy.
Serve salad with croutons on top.
*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness.
To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.
Recipe courtesy Aaron McCargo, Jr.