Creamed Peas with Crispy Shallots
- Creamed Sweet Peas:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 pound frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Crispy Shallots:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 shallots, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thin rings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
DirectionsCreamed Sweet Peas:
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the butter. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic and cook until garlic begins to brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the onions and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes to soften. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring to form a pasty roux. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer being sure to remove all of the lumps. Add the peas, Parmesan, chicken bouillon, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and ladle the mixture into a serving bowl. Serve garnished with crispy shallots.
Put the flour, salt, pepper and paprika in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Toss shallots into the flour to evenly coat. Put the shallots into a mesh strainer and shake off the excess flour.
In a medium-sized saute pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Heat the oil until almost smoking and add the shallots. Cook stirring frequently until the shallots begin to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the shallots from the pan onto a paper towel lined platter. Season with salt, to taste.
Recipe courtesy Aaron McCargo Jr.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse