Funked Out Apple Compote
- 2 pounds apples (Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Rome Beauty) peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 gallon French vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup butterscotch sauce, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite granola
Combine the apples, brown sugar, orange liqueur, cinnamon stick, lemon juice, lemon zest and pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender, about 30 minutes.
In a large bowl, add the ice cream. Add the walnuts and maple syrup and stir well to combine. Scoop out the ice cream into 4 dishes and top with some of the warm apple compote. Drizzle with butterscotch sauce and sprinkle with the granola. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.