Grilled Sausage Patties with Peppers and Onions
- Sausage patties:
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- Peppers and onions:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced in rings
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced in rings
- 1 sweet onion, sliced in rings
- 2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 5 kaiser rolls, split in 1/2
Preheat the grill to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl mix together the pork and all of the spices. Mix well until evenly distributed. Shape the mixture into 5 equal patties. Grill the patties on each side until cooked to desired doneness, about 4 minutes on each side.
Using a grate on top of the grill, arrange the onions and sliced peppers. Close the grill and allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
Put the sliced peppers, onions and mozzarella on top of each meat patty. Close the grill and cook until the cheese melts, about 1 minute.
Tuck a sausage patty into each roll and arrange on a serving platter.
Cook's Note: After assembling each sandwich, gently squeeze the patty together so the bread absorbs some of the juice.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Grilled Hot and Sweet Sausage Tacos with Apricot-Jalapeno Glaze, Grilled Pepper and Red Onion Salsa, Spicy Sausage Meatloaf Patties with Italian Barbecue Sauce, Grilled Lamb Sausage with Goat Cheese, Heirloom Tomatoes, Olives and Herbs, Andouille Sausage Recipes, Sausage, Sandwich Recipes, Turkey Sandwiches, Sausage Gravy Recipes