Grilled Sausage Patties with Peppers and Onions
- Sausage patties:
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- Peppers and onions:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced in rings
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced in rings
- 1 sweet onion, sliced in rings
- 2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 5 kaiser rolls, split in 1/2
Preheat the grill to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl mix together the pork and all of the spices. Mix well until evenly distributed. Shape the mixture into 5 equal patties. Grill the patties on each side until cooked to desired doneness, about 4 minutes on each side.
Using a grate on top of the grill, arrange the onions and sliced peppers. Close the grill and allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
Put the sliced peppers, onions and mozzarella on top of each meat patty. Close the grill and cook until the cheese melts, about 1 minute.
Tuck a sausage patty into each roll and arrange on a serving platter.
Cook's Note: After assembling each sandwich, gently squeeze the patty together so the bread absorbs some of the juice.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.