- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 bulbs fennel, ends trimmed, split and cored, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup roasted pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green olives, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Nonstick spray
Special equipment: waffle iron
For the pesto: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
For the fennel: In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, fennel, garlic and onions. Cook until the onions and fennel are browned and caramelized, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the spinach, set aside or place in the oven to keep warm.
For the tapenade: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
For the waffles: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add in the beaten eggs, buttermilk, butter and herbs. Stir all until well combined.
Spray the waffle iron with nonstick spray. Pour about 1 cup batter into the preheated waffle iron and cook the waffle according to the waffle maker's instructions. As each waffle is cooked, place it onto the prepared rack in the oven to keep warm.
To assemble the waffles: Place 1 waffle on a warmed plate. Top with couple of tablespoons of the pesto and some caramelized fennel. Top with another waffle, more pesto and the tapenade. Top with another waffle, more pesto, fennel and tapenade. Top with another waffle. Place a toothpick to hold into place. Cut into 4 pieces and serve immediately.