- Nonstick spray
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion (about 1/4 small red onion), soaked in cold water 5 minutes
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning, divided (recommended: Old Bay)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten , divided
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 limes, zested, divided
- 3 limes, juiced, divided
- 1 pint jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for cartilage (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound U-12 or colossal shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails on (about 12 shrimp)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add the 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil. Next, add the red onions, jalapeno and garlic and saute about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and let cool about 2 minutes.
In a large bowl, add the heavy cream and 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning; stir to combine. Add 1 cup panko, the egg, 2 tablespoons cilantro, juice of 2 limes, zest of 1 lime and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix into the cooled vegetable mixture. Gently fold in the crab, being careful not to break up the lumps.
Butterfly the shrimp by splitting them down the back from the center to the tail, being careful not to cut through. Stuff each shrimp with 2 heaping tablespoons of the crabmeat mixture. Place the stuffed shrimp onto a large plate and, when all are stuffed, put into the refrigerator about 20 minutes.
While the shrimp are being refrigerated, melt the remaining 1 stick butter in a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the remaining 1 cup panko and the remaining lime zest and juice. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning, along with a pinch of salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro. Stir together.
Pull the shrimp from the refrigerator and top with 1 to 2 tablespoons seasoned panko on each individual shrimp. Place the shrimp onto a baking sheet and bake until are pink, about 20 minutes.