Pork Egg Roll with Broccoli Slaw
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Pinch five-spice powder
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped Thai Basil leaves
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 bag store-bought broccoli slaw
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- 2 egg whites beaten with 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, for egg wash
- Dipping sauce, recipe follows
- Dipping Sauce:
- Mushroom stock
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped scallions
Have a deep-fryer preheated to 370 degrees F.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the sesame oil, pork and garlic. Allow to cook for a few minutes then add five-spice powder, black pepper, Thai basil and lime juice. Turn heat off and add broccoli slaw mix.
Lay egg roll wrappers out on a flat surface. Add about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the pork mixture and slaw mix to wrapper. Egg wash the sides of each egg roll wrapper. Roll egg roll wrapper over mixture, bringing in the sides and continue to roll until sealed.
Fry until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from oil onto paper towel lined platter and serve with Dipping Sauce.Dipping Sauce:
In a bowl, add a splash of mushroom stock to hoisin sauce. Add scallions and mix.