- 1 pound U-24 shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail-on
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 loaf desired bread, such as Italian, sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lemon, juiced
Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a medium saute pan and cook the shrimp, turning halfway, until they turn pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the shrimp onto a plate to rest.
Preheat a grill pan. In a medium bowl, add 3 tablespoons each of cilantro, basil and oregano. Add the extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons garlic and a dash of salt and pepper. Mix together and brush the with the garlic oil. Grill the bread for 2 minutes on each side.
In a saute pan over medium heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to soften and is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds longer. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes and the remaining 3 tablespoons each cilantro, basil and oregano. Stir together and cook for a minute. Pull the pan away from the flame and add the wine. Return the pan back to the heat and stir in the crushed tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice. Mix in the reserved cooked shrimp. Serve with the grilled bread.