Surf and Turf Burgers
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups panko
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 jalapeno, chopped, seeds optional
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Olive oil, to moisten
- Canola oil, for frying
- 8 hamburger buns, toasted
- 8 slices cooked good quality bacon, cut in half
- Bibb lettuce leaves, for garnish
- Lemon Caper Butter:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon capers
For the burgers: Divide the shrimp in half. Coarsely chop one half and set aside. Place the remaining shrimp into the bowl of a food processor and pulse 5 times.
In a large bowl, mix together the panko, eggs, hot sauce, garlic, seafood seasoning, and black pepper. Mix in the pureed shrimp, parsley, chives, jalapenos, and green onions. Add the coarsely chopped shrimp and stir to combine. To moisten the mix a bit more, add some olive oil. Form the mixture into 8 patties and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill for 20 minutes in the freezer or 2 hours in the fridge.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add the canola oil to generously cover the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, fry 4 burgers at a time, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and cover with foil. Repeat with the remaining 4 burgers.
To build the burgers, brush the buns with butter and lay the patties on the bottom of the hamburger bun. Top with bacon pieces and lettuce. Serve immediately.