- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, ground or chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons minced lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 Thai chiles, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup fresh Thai basil leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil
- Carrot shavings, for garnish
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
- Peanut Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Combine the pork, shrimp, lemongrass, sesame seeds, lime juice, chiles, ginger, garlic, basil, cilantro, mint, soy sauce, fish sauce, breadcrumbs and eggs in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated. Drizzle the olive oil into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish, making sure to evenly coat the entire surface.
Roll the mixture into round, golf ball size meatballs, making sure to pack the meat firmly.
Place the balls into the oiled baking dish such that all the meatballs are lined up evenly in rows and are touching each of their 4 neighbors in a grid.
Roast until firm and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Allow the meatballs to cool about 5 minutes before removing from the baking dish.
Garnish with shaved carrots and chopped roasted peanuts. Serve with Peanut Dipping Sauce.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well to combine.